Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Paying The Price


Bills! We all have them; there is no disputing that fact. The cost of living in 2008 is astronomical. Times are really hard and it’s not looking like that will change anytime soon. We all have bills that we pay every month and some are weekly. There’s the monthly credit card bill, the monthly rent or mortgage, the food bill, the car payment, fuel for the car, insurance, unexpected bills and then the occasional dining out bill. We all really have to stretch our finances and our imaginations to make ends meet sometimes.

In thinking about paying bills, I started thinking about how sometimes we complain about our bills. The mail carrier has a tough job these days. He’s delivering bills all of the time. Whatever happened to receiving a letter from someone every once in a while to break the financial monotony?

I can think of numerous times when I have taken someone to dinner. The check comes to the table and I take it and I say that “I will pay it. It’s all set”! Thinking about paying that bill for someone else, evokes a really good feeling in me. I like doing things for others, so I enjoy this sort of thing when I’m able to do it (which lately isn’t often). I recently thought of paying that bill a little more in depth. “I’ll pay the bill”. This made me think about paying the price.

Jesus paid the ultimate price for our salvation. He gave up His life, so that we could have ours. He paid the price that no amount of money could ever pay. You can’t buy your way into Heaven. You cannot buy salvation. You cannot buy peace, love, compassion or blessings; none of it can be bought. In Matthew 19:23-24 (Amplified Bible) Jesus said to His disciples, truly I say to you, it will be difficult for a rich man to get into the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to go into the kingdom of heaven.

This was said regarding a man of wealth who had just spoken with Jesus. The man had followed all of the commandments from his youth and wanted to know what else he had to do to gain entry into Heaven. Matthew 19:21-22 (Amplified Bible) says that Jesus answered him, If you would be perfect [that is, have that spiritual maturity which accompanies self-sacrificing character], go and sell what you have and give to the poor and you will have riches in heaven; and come, be My disciple [side with My party and follow Me]. But when the young man heard this, he went away sad (grieved and in much distress), for he had great possessions.

When Jesus was on the cross and he said “It is finished”, that also said to me that the price was paid. That selfless act of love by Jesus cost him everything and cost us nothing. When you see a less fortunate person on the street, do you pass them by or do you maybe exchange a pleasant hello or maybe even offer to buy them a sandwich. Where would we all be if Jesus decided not to go to the cross? We all were that person on the street until he paid the price for us to be free. I have a soft spot in my heart for the homeless and the poor. The way I was brought up was to treat everyone the way that I wanted to be treated.

That lesson isn’t often taught today. The mentality in the world today for the most part is to take care of you. There is nothing wrong with taking care of you first, but what about those who can’t take care of themselves? What about them? What would Jesus do? I believe that the poor and needy would be his best friends. The last would indeed be first.

See, when Jesus gave up His life for us. It was the ultimate act of selfless love. He taught us how to love. Yet if Jesus walked the streets today dressed as a poor person, I’m afraid he would be passed by many times, without someone even saying hello. As Christians, people are supposed to see Christ in us. If they don’t see Christ in our everyday lives, how will they ever listen to us when we want to minister to them?

I’ve heard people say things like (I need to be careful around certain people, so they don’t think badly of me). My response to that was if a person needs to put on a mask around anyone, then they have a lot of work to do on themselves. We shouldn’t have to be concerned with who we might run into. If we are living as we should be, all people will see a consistent picture of Jesus in us.
In closing, regarding the bills. It would be in our best interests if every time we spend money on anything, that we recall the price that Jesus paid. It will help us to keep in perspective how small our problems financial or otherwise really are.

Father I thank you for this message. I pray that we would all let this take root, so that we could be fruitful in areas where we may not currently be. Father, help us to see things as you do. Help us to have not only a servant’s heart but a giving spirit. Give us divine visions of how we can abolish poverty once and for all. Lastly, Father, I pray that you would help us to let go of concerns of worldly wealth and to embrace the reality of spiritual wealth and health.
In Jesus name I pray.
Amen.

God Bless You All.







“The Sharpshooter”


Free Hit Counter

No comments: